Friday, April 10, 2009

Ahoy, Mateys!

Avast! With "National Talk Like a Pirate Day" a mere 161 days away I feel it appropriate to mention the fascinating drama playing out off the coast of Somalia (read here).

Somali pirates have been getting quite a bit of press lately. I heard a piece on NPR yesterday discussing how the international community should handle the situation. One of the guests on the program mentioned that current laws won't really act as a deterrent, as the pirates would have to be taken back to the country of the vessel that captured them and tried there.

Of course once they're in the country they can claim refugee status. This is not what one might call a disincentive for a destitute resident of the Horn of Africa.

Most "experts" I have read about agree that military action is only a band-aid, and will not solve the deeper problems feeding the phenomenon. They argue that the best way to stem the growing trend is to establish a stable government in Mogadishu.

This begs the response, "We tried that, and we got Blackhawk down."

So, maybe a strong naval response is the best option, for lack of will to build another nation. Or should we just change laws so that private vessels can equip themselves to fend off attacks? Should we just pay the occasional ransom? That might be cheaper in the end.

In the meantime, I'm going to brush up on my Somali accent for National Talk Like a Pirate day, and trade in my cutlass for an RPG.

6 comments:

  1. This whole situation would be comical if it was not so very real.

    I mean pirates from Somalia terrorizing the shipping lanes of the world's super powers. Ten years ago that would sound like the mouse that roared.

    Makes me wonder how fragile or security really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Security really is fragile. I think history has shown that anyone is vulnerable at any time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a military response is justified.

    The 'occasional' ransom isn't so occasional these days. I recall a headline from the other day where saying that pirates had captured four more vessels and had fired on a fifth. I'm not sure but that may have all happened in one day. Pretty crazy.

    However, no that we have started shooting them, it seems that they will start shooting us. So far I don't recall the pirates killing any crew members of the ship they hijack. That may change now for French and American sailors.

    Having said that, I believe a comprehensive approach is desirable. Kill the pirates when possible, perhaps even attacking their bases on land, and aid with development.

    There is a partially independent and relatively well functioning government Somaliland, which is an area in the north part of Somalia. Perhaps the international community can work with them to patrol the sea off the coat of the rest of Somalia, since it'll be a while, if ever, that the government in greater Somalia will be able to deal with the pirates.

    Or we could just try to work it like the European powers worked it with the Barbary pirates back in the day and pay the pirates off. If it worked, that option could potentially be the least disruptive to the wider world (not ships hijacked anymore) and would involve less death on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure do hate reading over my postings after I have posted them and seeing all the grammar and spelling mistakes I've made. Happens every time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of mistakes, anyone notice my use of "their" instead of "they're" in the 3rd paragraph? How embarassing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we'd do better talking to Somalia's neighbors rather than a separatist portion of the country. That could just exacerbate tensions that lead to the semi-autonomous status in the first place.

    ReplyDelete