Monday, March 1, 2010

New World (dis)Order

A few years ago I read a book called "Them: Adventures with Extremists." The book was written by a British journalist named Jon Ronson (the same guy who wrote "Men Who Stare at Goats"). The book chronicles Mr Ronson's experiences as he travels around the world (ok...mostly the US and the UK) visiting with extremists of all stripes, including firebrand Islamic cleric Omar Bakri Muhammad, Klan leader Tom Robb, Randy Weaver (of Ruby Ridge fame), and radio shock jock Alex Jones. He attempts to understand and convey to the reader some integral parts of their world view. What he finds is that they all have the common thread of being conspiracy theorists. While they don't necessarily agree on many points, they do seem to think that the world is controlled by some shadowy cabal that seeks to enslave and/or subjugate everyone else.

I really enjoyed the book. Secure in the knowledge that this kind of thinking is relegated to the outer fringe of society, I found such ideas interesting. Even entertaining.

Not anymore.

I'm not sure if conspiracy theories have gotten more popular, or if I'm just more sensitive to this sort of thing, but they seem to be everywhere. From celebrities (Rosie O'Donell and Charlie Sheen) to Heads of State (Chavez [see last posting] and even European leaders), everyone is espousing pet theories. It seems as though this has gotten out of control.

When contemplating the origin of all these theories, only one possible explanation emerges. The theories themselves were created by the Illuminati in order to measure intelligence. Only the dumbest, most useless oxygen thieves actually believe them. They will be the first to die when the zeta reticulans land. Don't believe me? Then allow me to create a pseudo-scientific YouTube video about it. Then you'll see. And if you say you don't believe it, then I'll just assume that you either a) stupid or b) one of "them."

In all honesty, I find this kind of thinking dangerous and destructive. It allows people to assume the worst of their leaders and institutions, and to form opinions that far exceed their level of actual knowledge. It can poison clear thinking and breed paranoia. And worst of all, it disguises lies to appear as truth.


Just to be clear; I'm not saying people don't conspire. But I am saying many of the popular theories out there are, in my view, complete BS. It seems like the nut jobs are monopolizing the microphone these days, so please allow me to add a voice of reason to the fray.


Eh hem!

May I have your attention please! You should be aware of the following:
  • The moon landings were not faked. They really happened.

  • 9-11 was not an inside job. Please, PLEASE do not try to refute this. I will lose. much respect for you. If you mention Building 7, I may explode.

  • None of the earthquakes that have occurred were deliberately caused by the US.

  • The US government did NOT blow up any levees in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina (sorry Spike Lee).

  • Obama is not using FEMA to build concentration camps around the US.

  • There are no black helicopters waiting to pounce on the US.

So, let's talk about this. Has anyone else noticed an increase in this kind of thinking? Why is it happening? What makes a conspiracy theorist tick? Why do these ideas persist?

10 comments:

  1. Jay Bee, you don't have to tell me that the moon landing was real. I know it happened, I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a repeat sketch on the show Animaniacs in which a giant chicken would "wear a disguise to look like human guys."

    All it took was a monocle or a necktie to convince the general populace that Chicken Boo was not a ridiculously over-sized chicken, but a human. For some reason people couldn't see through the monocle to the chicken beneath.

    In each sketch Chicken Boo would assume the role of a new character, usually with an already-established reputation as being very talented or skilled (eg. a ballet dancer, a movie star, a western hero).

    Because of his fame, the local characters would sing Chicken Boo's praises, with the exception of a single naysayer, who would shout something to the effect of "He's a chicken, I tell you! A chicken!", yet the other characters would refuse to believe the naysayer, and often treated him as if he were crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell if the point of this story is to show that conspiracy theorists will believe anything, or if you're saying I shouldn't be so quick to write people off as crazy.

    BTW, awesome job using an Animaniacs reference. Props.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jay Bee, I completely agree with you when you say "many of the popular theories out there are, in my view, complete BS."

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, is the point that only dumb people believe things that can't be proved or disproved, or is it that people who believe things that appear irresponsible to you are dumb? In other words, is it the dubious act of believing or the subject matter that bothers you more?

    For argument’s sake, let's say that there was irrefutable scientific evidence that the lunar landing was a hoax. Do you embrace the mobile home crazies in the desert as oracles because they were right, or do still hold your breath next to them because they believed something that shouldn't have been true?

    The way I see it, there are so many things that none of can "know". Maybe 9/11 was an inside job. I don't think so, but I can't know for sure. Maybe the lunatics are right, but it is not because they know, either--they just happen to choose opinions that are contrary to popular opinion. And when has popular opinion ever been wrong? ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to clarify a couple of things:
    1) I don't actually believe all conspiracy theorists are "dumb." That line was supposed to be funny. This is not to say that I don't take issues with their way of thinking. That was me venting.

    2) I don't believe that objective truth can be determined by "majority rules." Popular opinion is often wrong.

    3) I don't think believing in false things is necessarily immoral. Given the wide variety of conflicting beliefs and opinions out there, most people believe something that's false.
    _______________________________________________
    Also, keep in mind, I am speaking about a very specific brand of theory. The type of theory that seeks to completely discredit the status quo, and its institutions. These theories are used to propagate specific narratives that in turn prop up specific ideologies, most of which are very dangerous.

    Anyway, perhaps the Moon Landing theories were not the best example to bring up, and is by far the most innocuous theory I mentioned. To answer your question, even if the mobile-homes crazies were right, and the landings were a hoax, they would still not be credible in my view. They would have just been lucky. Good question.

    The discussion about what we can know and what we can't know is interesting.

    Certainly Neil Armstrong knows the truth of what happened on the moon. As do the mission control folks, and everyone else directly involved in the mission. Also, there is a landing site on the moon with artifacts of the event. The truth CAN be known with certitude.

    Anyway, I'm off to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Certainly Occam would agree with you about the lunar artifacts! I guess the underlying issue is a person's intent in believing something. I personally know people who will believe ANYTHING if it discredits Obama. I also know people who feel the same thing about capitalism, or religion, or gay marriage, etc. They aren't looking for truth, only ammunition against something that intimidates them or their worldview. E.g., government makes me feel oppressed, so I will hold convenient beliefs that discredit them and validate my opinion. Add a little zeal and crazy juice and you have the conspiracy theorists I think you are talking about. I guess we all, to some extent, marginalize things that don't support our inherent egocentric perspectives. That’s how I know I am almost always right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said, David. World view is key when talking about conspiracy theories. Many of the theories I'm talking about serve the purpose of eliminating cognitive dissonance for the anti-government/anti-Western crowd by portraying our rulers and systems as singularly evil.

    These folks seem to subscribe to a particular ideology, and then select facts to support it. It's logic in reverse.

    I wish you had been a reader when we discused world view a few months ago.

    BTW, I am a big fan of Mr. Occam and his razor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems pretty easy for people to find reasons to believe. It may be healthy if people spent a little more time looking for reasons not to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We always think it is healthy for others to spend time thinking of how they can agree with us more.

    ReplyDelete