Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Kindred Spirit

Remember a few weeks back when I went on my "Conspiracy theories are dangerous" tirade (see "New World (Dis)order" from March 1st)? Well, I read an excellent article today on the Foreign Policy website that I can only assume was inspired by reading my brilliant posting. There are some suprising similarities between our commentary on this topic.

The author echos my point that these ideas are dangerous and that we dismiss them "at our peril." He also seems to support my position that these theories are becoming more popular. He quotes from a book entitled "Voodoo Histories" which says "we in the West are currently going through a period of fashionable conspiracism." This book is now on my To Read list.

The article gives some hope for a rational future though. He notes "the rise of a new culture of fact based skepticism" including "fact checking websites," "high-profile anti-conspiracists," and organizations like the British group "Skeptics in the Pub," which the author describes as "a drink-fueled debating society with a strong anti-conspiracy bent."

You know you're in dire straights when the best hope of honest discourse comes from British pubs!

Anyway, read the posting here if you have a minute.



1 comment:

  1. http://the-classic-liberal.com/cass-sunstein-conspiracy-theory-introduction/

    Now Cass Sunstein advocates outlawing or banning conspiracy theories. What are your thoughts on the balance between censorship and farfetched conspiracy theories?

    ReplyDelete