Saturday, April 10, 2010

Two anecdotes on race relations in America



A few years ago I lived in Hampton Roads, an area in southern Virginia. While eating at a restaurants I saw a group of 12 to 15 people eating lunch together and having a good time. The members of the group were mostly middle aged and were a mix of black and white people. As far as I could tell, there was nothing at all exceptional about the group; they were probably just employees at a local business having a lunch meeting.


I now live in the Mountain West region of the US. I have a neighbor who is of a racial minority. This neighbor played on the school football team when he was an undergrad and has a very affable personality. Now, still at the same school, he is getting a joint Masters of Public Administration-Juris Doctorate degree. Last semester some people in one of his classes, most of whom were white, were talking about race relations in America. My neighbor told them that they have no idea what it's like to be a minority in the US. Despite all his success, he apparently still feels... Well, I don't know exactly how he feels, but I get the impression that he thinks there is still some room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment